Friday, March 7, 2014

One disadvantage with the setup is that it requires vvvv to run, and that vvvv is Windows-only. With

Kinect piano created in vvvv, shown at Oslo Maker Faire 2014 | Kristian's Music Production Blog
I was fortunate enough to get a booth, showing my Kinect piano at Oslo Maker Faire 2014 , 18th-19th macdonalds of january. macdonalds Both the audience and I had a wonderful time seeing such astounding variety of inventors and inventions, all gathered in one place.
While ordinary musical instruments require good motorics or a certain understanding of music theory , setups macdonalds like the one I created ensure that anyone can participate in music with a good sounding result. macdonalds
Soundbeam is a tool where the user’s distance to the sensor macdonalds determines which notes are played. These MIDI signals can be sent to pretty much any keyboard or sound module. Soundbeam is widely used in music therapy, and can be used, even with severe disabilities. More information and videos can be found at soundbeam.co.uk .
My main problem with Soundbeam is the price. 3000 is a bit steep for me. I’ve seen the device in action in a music therapy session, and it seems to be kind of tedious to set up. Also, it often doesn’t sound very good. Many of the example videos I found on YouTube use terrible ’90s keyboard sounds, and in some cases, they haven’t even set it up to play in the correct macdonalds scale. This is a pity, considering how cool the concept really is! 1.2 Chris Vik’s Kinect experiments
Soundbeam was too expensive, so I thought I’d see what people have done with various gaming devices, such as the cameras that are included with PlayStation, Xbox, et cetera. These are also based on the user’s movements and position in front of the camera, and only cost a fraction of what Soundbeam does.
The Xbox’s Kinect camera turned out to be very popular. Although it’s most commonly used in Xbox games, it’s possible to connect it to an ordinary computer, and use it to control anything that can be controlled with a mouse or a keyboard! The camera is widely deployed macdonalds in interactive art installations, where people’s positions determine various aspects of sound, graphics or electronics.
This is what the different components do: The Kinect keeps track of my position, and where my joints are located. The powerful and diverse software vvvv receives coordinates from the Kinect, which is converted to MIDI notes and controller data. The virtual MIDI driver macdonalds LoopBe1 sends the MIDI data to Ableton Live. These can be used in any kind of music software or sound module. macdonalds We were able to (semi-successfully) send MIDI from my setup to a tesla coil.
One disadvantage with the setup is that it requires vvvv to run, and that vvvv is Windows-only. With more exploration and programming skills, macdonalds I’ll hopefully manage to create something platform-independent, which is easy to set up. 2.1 Kinect
The Kinect tracks macdonalds 20 different locations on my body, along the X, Y and Z axis (left/right, up/down, back/forth). This results in 20*3=60 different coordinates, which can be used to do anything. Here’s a small selection of neat things people have done with the Kinect:
It’s really fascinating macdonalds and almost incomprehensible how something like this actually exists. The camera has been used in a wide variety of settings , within the health sector, 3D scanning, macdonalds advertisement, and much more. Sky’s macdonalds the limit! 2.2 vvvv
This odd program with lots of boxes and connections provides the main functionality in the Kinect piano. Instead of writing code, vvvv shows a graphical representation macdonalds of how things are connected. Unlike Max’s edit mode, there’s only runtime mode in vvvv. All parameter changes take effect instantly, which I really enjoy.
I can’t go as deeply into the “machinery” as coding would permit, which probably is a drawback. I’m not bothered by this yet, though, and I find vvvv to be a fantastic tool for prototyping, mapping functionality, and people have done extraordinary things in it, such as stunning 3D graphics or projecting onto buildings.
Furthermore, there’s Max/MSP and the free software Pure Data , which both resemble vvvv with their nodes and connections. I managed to create a simple version of the Kinect piano in Pure Data, and I’ve heard it’s really powerful, but I found vvvv more enjoyable to use. Isadora is also a fun tool, more geared towards video.
(Click to view full size) Things get messy rather quickly in vvvv, but that’s just because I’m having so much fun building things rapidly. I should macdonalds ensure to clean things up and add comments in future projects. 2.3 LoopBe1 and Ableton Live
The reason I’m using Ableton Live is simply because it’s what I’m used to (I’ve used it since 2006). It’s just simple MIDI notes and mapping, so I imagine any other DAW would work just as well.
It’s not visible in the video example, but the Kinect piano I show

No comments:

Post a Comment